(Shipping: UK £5.00; Europe £15.00; Rest of World £15.00 Europe and Rest of World by Airmail)
This kit offer woodworkers and furnituremakers a choice between purchasing the tool ready-to-use and making their own to the same standard, but at a lower cost.
The kit contain the following:
- Hard maple block, (CNC) machined to accept the blade and depth setting grub screws.
- Hock blade – high carbon steel blade hardened to Rc 62 (see www.hocktools.com).
- Two depth-adjusting set screws, with hex key.
- Heavy brass wear-plate and brass screws to be fixed in front of blade
- Instructions for making the spokeshave
Unlike other kits on the market the wood block has already been machined to accept the blade and set-screws. This leaves the maker to shape the block and to fit the brass wear plate. A range of different shapes can be successful including those illustrated below:
Two options are given for ejecting the shavings: the preferred shape where the shavings emerge from the top of the tool; and shavings ejected to the rear of the tool.
The advantages of ejecting from the top of the tool are that the back of the tool remains entire, giving a comfortable surface on which thumbs/fingers can push/pull; also the back of the blade is supported by the body of the tool over its full length minimising the tendency to chatter.
Spokeshaves are most effective when held lightly, with fingers and thumbs directly in front of and behind the blade. This gives the user maximum feedback from the blade, of how it is cutting through the wood, allowing immediate and instinctive adjustments to be made.